Many cannabis consumers embrace the “tip your budtender” mantra that serves as a way to show appreciation for the budtender for providing excellent service, product recommendations, and applicable discounts during checkout. Tipping is a common practice in the service industry, but it is not often associated with e-commerce. However, adding a tipping option during the online checkout process can benefit both customers and cannabis retailers.
Tipping at Checkout
A recent update to BLAZE ECOM™ has made tipping at checkout optional for customers shopping for cannabis online. This highly requested feature provides an easy way to add a tip by percentage of the order or a custom tip amount. Once added, the tip is reflected in addition to the order total and gets deducted from the customer’s preferred bank account once the order is placed.
This is a great way for frequent online shoppers to show appreciation to dispensary staff that pack and fulfill each order for pickup or delivery. Oftentimes, tipping is simply overlooked or forgotten during delivery or pickup since these methods are designed for expediency and convenience. Offering optional tipping at checkout within the e-commerce user experience serves as a reminder so consumers are not limited to the cash in their wallet to tip.
Not only is tipping optional at checkout on a dispensary’s online store but now cannabis consumers can leave a tip within a dispensary’s mobile app. Shopping in a native mobile application has become the preferred consumer experience, especially when placing re-orders and streamlining the checkout process. While it is an optional step during checkout, mobile app users are more likely to add a tip as a logical progression when paying for their order.
Benefits for Dispensaries
- Increase employee motivation: When workers know that they have the potential to earn tips online and in-store, there is more motivation for them to suggest online ordering. This can lead to higher customer satisfaction, which can translate into repeat business and positive reviews.
- Boost employee morale: When workers receive tips, they feel appreciated and valued. This can have a positive impact on their morale and job satisfaction, which can lead to lower turnover rates.
- Generate more revenue: When customers have the option to leave a tip, they may be more likely to complete their purchase online. This can lead to an increase in revenue for the business.
Benefits for Customers
- Show appreciation for good service: Just like in any other service setting, tipping allows customers to show their appreciation for good service. If a customer is particularly pleased with their online shopping experience, they can leave a tip at checkout.
- Support workers: Many workers in the cannabis industry rely on tips as a significant portion of their income. By adding a tipping option at checkout, customers can support these workers and supplement their base wage.
- Feel good about giving: Tipping can make customers feel good about giving back to the people who helped them. It can be a small gesture, but it can have a big impact on the worker who receives the tip.
Adding a tipping option at checkout may not be appropriate for every e-commerce business, but it can provide significant benefits for those who choose to do so. By allowing customers to show their appreciation for good service and supporting workers, businesses can increase employee motivation and generate more revenue.